Sunday, April 30, 2006

Gift of Fate

"I, with a deeper instinct, choose a man who compels my strength, who makes enormous demands on me, who does not doubt my courage or my toughness, who does not believe me naive or innocent, who has the courage to treat me like a woman."

~ Anaïs Nin


Anaïs is right, you know. That’s just what I did. Well, I didn’t really do it consciously, but luckily that’s how it turned out.

After a lifetime of relationships I didn't understand, I’m finally loved by someone who loves me for the Me I Really Am, not as the Fantasy Me drifting around in a lover’s daydream.

I’ll (probably) get around to telling the story of our beginnings, but of course that doesn’t really matter. What matters is the rest. That it’s finally “enough.”

This man expects me to be strong, and never doubts that I am. Courage is something he sees behind my eyes, like a warm and steady fire, even when I don’t know it’s hiding there. He believes me brave and so I am. He sees courage in the simple act of rising to face each day’s thoughts and in the quickest beat of every heart.

Never let fear stop you.

His own bravery shines out of him like a bright knight's shining courage, joyfully alive. With him, for the first time, I feel safety, and his peace at last releases the clenched fist of my brain.

Life’s current brought me here by accident and happenstance, and I’m glad. To want more would be to say to the air, “Please. Give me more air.”

No one is promised happiness. When life goes well, it’s a sudden gift.

2 comments:

Pauline said...

Whoo hoo! I hear this, Connie! I like this! It's perfect!
I have someone who loves me this way, too. I've always been a chameleon, changing into the person that people around me make me to be. The one who loves me makes me who I have always been somehow. When I'm with him, I'm not a chameleon. He sees who I am, and believes in every bit of it. Somehow, because of that, I become courageous, interesting, funny and beautiful.
Finding love like this on earth IS a gift that isn't promised...just like you said! Aren't we lucky ducks?!

Concetta said...

Thanks, Pauline. I'm grateful every day, stunned and humbled by this sudden gift.

-CA