Wednesday, October 11, 2006

Twice in a Lifetime








I’ve been trying to figure things out. It’s so different than before, now that you and I are pretend “grown ups.”

Once upon a time I threw myself into the frantic search for fun in order to hide myself from the anguish of the past. But it seems that the universe wanted to show me what was possible, and put you in my path. You with your twinkling eyes and your pied piper laugh. But I was burdened by the impossible weight of the 7,146 days that happened before you, and couldn’t take the leap.

Now I seem – at long last – able to put my burdens down in the dust and walk away from them. Tired of the role of tragic heroine and finally, hopefully, free.

From March 28, 1972 to April 19, 2002 … 10,979 days without you.

And now, here we are. Twice in a lifetime.

No comments: