Wednesday, January 24, 2007

He



He
Had no quarrel with life.
But when it was time
For young men to go to war
He joined the parade.

Vietnam is a far cry from Indiana.
(A nice place to visit
But I wouldn’t want to die there.)

He
Was only a name.
No boy belongs
To that name
Anymore.

He
Was the first boy
Who ever kissed me.
We were twelve, I think.
My neighbor saw us
But never told our mothers.

Later that summer,
He wrote me a love letter
And spelled my name
Wrong.

He
Was simple and uncomplicated.
And then he joined the war parade.
He killed three men.

But once
I watched
him climb
a rain spout
to save
a sparrow.

He
Was only a name.
No boy belongs to that name
Anymore.




3 comments:

Paula J Atkinson said...

Very moving, it brought tears to my eyes. Poor boy.

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Please, please tell me that this is not true...?

Concetta said...

All of the ones who join the parade make me cry. Especially the ones I've kissed.

As I sit here pondering these times, I've just posted an after thought dated 25 Jan. Perhaps I'll let that be my last word.

Hugs,
C.