Monday, January 22, 2007

Mutiny



I never could decide upon a name.
Always she was like a myth

Even as she was coming true.

I still feel her,
Restless, round and round,
Like a dog, circling

To find the right position.


Don’t think I wasn’t grateful.

I was. Even for a chance

To have a chance.

Maybe it was the Tabasco, or…


Who knows why a baby breathes

And then deflates into

Anonymity forever,

As though the very air were poison.


I’ll never know her.

Whoever she was, she was restless,

A renegade embryo.

Unforgettable,

Maybe only to the body that carried her,

But unforgettable nevertheless.

3 comments:

diana christine said...

oh, concetta, what a stirring expression of a deeply personal experience. your writing is beautiful as you bring us into what you feel....

Maryam in Marrakesh said...

Oh Concetta, so sorry, darling girl. I have been there too.

Concetta said...

Ah well. The intervening years don't dim the feelings.

MM, reading about your Thanksgiving story about your Skylar made me think about this time. Thanks.

DC, thanks for your kind words as well. I'm thrilled that you both enjoy my words and the feelings underneath them.

Even so, I'm overwhelmingly happy now. Amazing to want something so badly, not get it, and to have a happy ending anyway!

Hugs - C